At RCC, we’re committed to providing our students with the tools and resources needed for academic and career success. In this edition, we highlight the assessment services provided by our Department of Testing. For information on additional student support services at RCC, including Single Stop, Disability Services, and Advising, visit our website.
The Department of Testing at Roxbury Community College is responsible for administering tests that grant credits or provide proof of eligibility at RCC and other institutions. We currently offer the following tests:
- College Placement Testing – New RCC students are required to take an Assessment/Placement Test to determine the appropriate course level at which to begin their studies. The Placement Test is used to evaluate the students’ skills level in English, Math and Science, and to identify academic strengths and needs.
- CLEP® Exams – The College Level Examination Program® (CLEP) exams provide an opportunity for students to earn college credit for prior knowledge of skills and to have those credits counted toward their Roxbury Community College degree requirements.
- HiSET (the new GED® test in Massachusetts) – In 2014, Massachusetts and other states replaced the GED® exam with a new test, the HiSET. Those who take and pass all five sections of the HiSET earn a Massachusetts High School Equivalency Diploma.
- TEAS – The Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) is one component for selecting students for admission to the competitive Nursing and Allied Health programs.
Interested in taking on these tests at RCC? Here is some additional information about each of the tests, to help you determine your eligibility and sign-up:
College Placement Testing
Only newly admitted RCC students are eligible to take this test. To prepare for the RCC placement exams, you can visit www.accuplacer.org to access sample questions and a free study app; or, you can enroll in our Math Boot Camp. To learn more about the Math Boot Camp or enroll, contact Joyce Atkinson, Coordinator of Learning Resources, at [email protected] or 617-933-7403.
Ready to take your exams? Contact the Department of Testing at [email protected] or 617-708-3628.
College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP®) Exams
Anyone who is hoping to obtain college credit through CLEP can register for CLEP exams at RCC; however, we recommend that you check your school’s CLEP policy before purchasing a ticket with the CLEP board. Sample questions and study guides for all CLEP exams are available on the College Board website. To register for a CLEP exam, learn more or register for an exam, visit:
High School Equivalency Test (HiSET, formerly GED®)
Anyone who is looking to obtain a Massachusetts High School Equivalency Diploma is eligible to take this test. The cost of the test varies depending on your individual circumstances. RCC offers a HiSET prep course to help you prepare for the test (additional information below). All HiSET registration must be done on the HiSET website: http://www.hiset.ets.org/.
Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
Anyone is welcome to register for the TEAS at RCC. You do not have to be an RCC student. If you are submitting your results to other colleges, make sure that those colleges accept off-site test results. Our Department of Corporate and Community Education & Lifelong Learning offers TEAS courses at affordable rates, to help you prepare for the test (additional information below). Registration must be done online. To register, go to www.atitesting.com.
Meet the Students
Lounely and Stephania
Lounely Jean, AA in Health Careers, May 2016
Stephania Cetoute, AA in Health Careers, May 2016
Lounely and Stephania both decided to take the French Language CLEP Tests to earn credits towards their degrees. As native French speakers, neither had to study hard to take and pass the test. By passing the test, both earned credits toward their degree and were able to complete their degree requirements in two years. Both Lounely and Stephania are graduating from RCC this spring with plans to enroll in RCC’s Nursing Program this fall.
PREPARE FOR THE HISET AND TEAS AT RCC
RCC offers preparation courses to help students take charge of their futures and get ready for either the HiSET (formerly GED) exam or the TEAS exam. Students benefit from our highly qualified instructors, reasonable class sizes, supportive learning environments, and additional free resources such as tutoring, goal-setting, and mentoring.
- HiSET Prep Classes – Gain confidence and knowledge as we work with you to earn your high school equivalency diploma. We offer classes for writing, reading, math, science, and social studies. Classes are taught in either English or Spanish.
- TEAS Exam Prep Classes – Interested in applying to a nursing/allied health program? Give yourself a head start for this exam required by RCC’s Nursing Department (along with other schools) as part of the admissions process. We offer classes for science, math, and English/reading.
For current information on course schedules, visit www.rcc.mass.edu/LL, contact us at 617-933-7410 or email [email protected].