Are you interested in joining one of the most rapidly expanding industries in Massachusetts? Want to become an expert in the field that has revolutionized the way we understand and view living systems? Then RCC’s Biotechnology Program is right for you!
1. Established Industry Partnerships – In order to earn RCC’s AS in Biotechnology, you must complete a 250 hour internship. All students who meet minimum qualifications receive assistance obtaining internships. Examples of internship sites include:
a. Winchester Engineering and Analytical Center (Food and Drug Administration)
b. Harvard Medical School
c. UMASS Boston
2. Cost Savings – Tuition and fees for a standard year of studies at Roxbury Community College is $5,470. The average cost of a year of studies at MA state universities is $9,122, at a UMass campus its $13,501, and a private school in MA can cost as much as $48,030. At RCC, you’ll save a significant amount of money without sacrificing quality. And, you may be eligible for Pell Grants, or other financial aid, to further cover the costs of your education.
3. Employment Opportunities – After earning your degree at RCC, you’ll be qualified to join the workforce. Many of our graduates find employment as laboratory technicians or laboratory assistants, which offer impressive salaries:
||$32,000 – $48,000
||$24,000 – $33,000
||$22,000 – $29,000
||$35,000 – $60,000
|Aseptic Fill Technician
||$28,000 – $44,000
|Quality Control (QC) Technician
||$31,000 – $38,000 (entry-level)
|Quality Assurance (QA) Documentation Coordinator/Associate
||$28,000 – $39,000
|Clinical Data Association
||$13.20 (hourly rate)
||$13.20 (hourly rate)
Data provided by https://www.massbioed.org
Within these job titles, graduates work in a wide array of specific topics, such as molecular biology, protein chemistry, cell culture, and immunochemistry, to name a few.
4. Transfer Opportunities – Upon graduating from RCC with an AS in Biotechnology, you can transfer to a four-year school to continue your studies. Past graduates have transferred to Boston University, UMass Boston and UMass Lowell.
5. Massachusetts Life Sciences Center Platinum Endorsement – Both our certificate program and our AS program are platinum-endorsed by the Massachusetts Life Science Center. We are one of only four MA community colleges to have biotech programs with platinum-level endorsements.
How to Enroll:
Ready to start your biotech studies at RCC? Becoming a student is a simple process. Get started today by filling out an application form, one of two ways. You can either:
1. Apply online, for free: www.rcc.mass.edu; or
2. Apply in-person, at the Enrollment Center. A $10.00 application fee must accompany all paper applications.
Questions? Need more info?
Contact the Enrollment Center with admissions-related questions:
The Enrollment Center
Administration Building (#2), Room 102.
Telephone: 617-541-5320 or 617-541-5310.
Contact the biotechnology department program coordinator with academic questions:
Dr. Kristin Laird
Telephone: 617-427-0060 ext. 5211